For any enquiring mind, whether Freemason or not, this little book sets out to help answer questions not so much: What does it mean? but rather: What can it mean? since the journey is concerned not with learning other peoples answers, but in working out answers for yourself. This is a book about what it means to walk the path of a Freemason; to be inspired by its rituals, to live your life by its precepts, and to cultivate virtue within yourself.
If you are not a Freemason, you may want answers to questions such as the following:
- Why can I not become a Freemason by reading about it in a book? What would initiation do for me?
- What is the point of secrets in Freemasonry?
- Why are the square and compasses in Freemasonry such a universal symbol?
- What are Masonic symbols for? Do they mean anything?
- Can Freemasonry be as meaningful for me as my religion?
- By being a Freemason, can I be closer to God?
If you are already a Freemason, you may want answers to other, but similar questions:
- Why are we called Free Masons?
- If secrets in Freemasonry are not to hide something, what are they for?
- What does the ritual mean when it talks of avoiding fear and rashness?
- How can symbols best be used?
- Can working tools really be used to make me a better person? If so, how?
- Why is it said that lodges stand on holy ground?
- How am I to understand light in a symbolic sense?